With the return of the school year, homework, new scheduled and after school activities I’ve been trying to find ways to cook ahead or cook during the day. This recipe was inspired by – well my pantry! I was looking for something to cook and of course hadn’t been to the grocery store in awhile so was “making do” with what was available. It’s filling, delicious, healthy (yes it really is) and takes no effort. Enjoy this Slow Cooker Chicken, Rice, Green Bean Casserole recipe.
Here’s a few things I did – you know how sometimes leaving your slow cooker on warm causes burning? I poured it into a backing pan and topped with cheddar cheese. It hides the vegetables some more too so I don’t argue too much with the kids! I covered it with foil and tented the foil so the cheese doesn’t stick. It melts and it’s rich, creamy, delicious and so easy to make! I had enough for lunch for the next day too which is a big plus when mom and dad pack their lunch for work too. Better than a sandwich!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used frozen so cooking time will vary if thawed)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (I used organic)
- 1 can cream of celery soup (I used organic)
- 2 cans of water
- 2 bags of boil in bag brown rice
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cans green beans (organic - drained)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Cover with cans of soup and add cans of water.
- Place on high for 3 hours.
- Check on cooking, spoon sauce around over the chicken.
- When chicken is cooked all the way through add the two bags of boil in bag rice - cut bags open and add rice only.
- Allow to cook until thick and creamy.
- Add green beans about 30 minutes before serving.
- I also poured it into a baking pan, topped with cheddar cheese and covered with foil. I left it warming in the oven so cheese would melt.