Baked Nachos –
Original recipe posted by reader Carrie C. here and published on Yahoo Voices!
Tortilla Chips – Tostitos Scoops recommended
1 lb Hamburger
All amounts are approximate depending on how big of a batch is needed and taste preferences. One pound of hamburger will serve 6-7.
Preheat oven to 325
1. Brown and drain hamburger meat. Once the meat is browned, add in approximately a cup of salsa. Allow to simmer while completing other steps. Stir occasionally.
2. Heat and mix Cheese Whiz and Beans. Approximately 1 min at a time, stirring in between until melty (that’s my technical term for it.)
3. Layer of Tostitos Scoops Chips -scoop side up in bottom of baking pan. I use different sizes depending on how much I need to make. A 9″ X 9″ pan makes 4-5 dinner sized servings.
4. Drizzle the cheese/bean mixture over the chips making sure to hit each. Spread the meat evenly over the chips – you may have some left over.
6. Using a spoon, drizzle taco sauce over the meat. You can be generous with this as it keeps the entire ensemble moist.
7. Place another layer of chips, scoop side down.
8. Drizzle remaining cheese/bean mixture on top of the chips. The top with any remaining meat. Drizzle a small amount of taco sauce.
9. Top with shredded cheese and bake in oven for approximately 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown.
Serve hot. Top with sour cream and/or guacamole to taste.
For dinner, cut nachos like lasagna.
For a snack/appetizer, gently lift out of pan using spatulas and place on a plate. Guests can pull a chunk at a time and eat with their favorite dips or toppings.