I remember growing up and thinking that the Cheeseburger Macaroni from the box was a really great idea. Since then I’ve found that I can make it at home, for pennies and that it tastes so much better than the boxed version. It’s also fun because the kids like to help out in creating their favorite meals. I like that it is a one skillet meal, less muss, less fuss and that the whole family enjoys it. It is easy to pair with a salad or other vegetable side. This week our side was steamed broccoli, though green beans go with it well too. My youngest asks for corn, but there’s only so much yellow that should be on a plate at any given time.
It’s taken me a few tries, but this recipe has been judged by my panel of experts (Mr. MoneySavingParent, the kids and the 20 year old) to be the perfect combination of beef, macaroni and creamy cheesiness. The recipe may be pretty great, but I think that it may also have something to do with the quality of the beef I used, which I received from Zaycon Fresh.
Here’s what I liked about the ground beef from Zaycon Fresh:
- Comes fresh, never frozen
- The beef cattle have a grass diet which is supplemented by grain after they reach approximately 700 pounds.
- 100% grown in the USA.
- There are no chemicals, additives or water added to meat during processing.
- Processed at a USDA-inspected, state-of-the-art plant employing strict operating protocols (including HACCP) and the highest in food-safety standards.
- Prior to processing, inspectors from the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service randomly sample cattle under a monitoring plan and perform testing for antibiotic residues.
- 93% lean and 7% fat.
- Comes in a 40-lb case with four 10-lb chubs per case (approximate weight)
- LFTB free!
When I cook it in a casserole or as a burger it’s fresh, meaty, and a lot less oil to get rid of than I find in a number of other ground beef products. No matter what I’ve used it for it’s turned out just the way we want, from well done on the grill to a soup in the slow cooker.
With approximately 40lbs I have plenty of ideas and uses for this ground beef and the homemade One Skillet Cheeseburger Macaroni Casserole is one of the family’s favorites.
Place your order for Zaycon Fresh Ground Beef. Find an event near you.
This recipe made enough for 5 people with 2 servings left over for lunch the next day. I love left overs, it means I don’t have to worry about what to cook for lunch or the oldest daughter can save money by packing it in her lunch.
Related content: Top 10 Reasons to Order from Zaycon Fresh