This year is a big one for one of the girls at Money Saving Parent headquarters. Not only is she starting a new school after our move, but she is starting middle school. With the introduction of middle school and Pre-AP/GT classes our daughter needs a quiet place to work, frequently using her laptop computer. That’s why we created a homework station.
10 Tips to Create the Perfect Homework Station for Your Middle Schooler
- Create a homework routine. Is there a place to store backpacks? Papers that need signed? Is there an established time to start homework. Knowing where to keep things and where they can be found is the first step to a successful school year. No one likes to say “I lost my homework.”
- Use a homework notebook. In my youngest daughter’s school we use a school planner that I have to pay for. All her assignments are written in the book and I sign it that I saw them. However for my middle schooler we have to go electronic with Canvas which allows me to see all the assignments, grades and more. Both my daughter and I have the app and I can even see when she turned things in.
- Stock up on homework essentials. There is nothing worse than running out last minute for glue or other school supplies. That’s why this year we bought in bulk using Oriental Trading Company so we would have many school supplies at home.
- Hang a white board for important reminders. Cece has her white board with different color markers for different topics. After all now that she is in middle school there is not only classes but pep squad and new friends to attend events with. She even has already had her first dance!
- Get organized and stay that way. Use magazine files for organizing papers. You can hang them on the wall and even designate one for each child. Organize supplies with a fun desktop organizer, mason jars or recycle used soup cans.
- Timing is everything. Include a desktop or wall monthly calendar as well as a clock to keep track of the time and date. My daughter could start doing her 30 minutes of reading without a timer and read all night if it’s a good book.
- Have the right equipment. A homework station is a lot like an office. When you have the right “stuff” you are more productive right? An ergonomic chair, a desk or table for them to work at, and good lighting are all important to helping your middle schooler with their homework. Laying across the bed trying to do it just ends up in an after school nap. A good trash can is essential for keeping the room tidy.
- Tech time tips. Make sure the homework station has a good surge strip or tower to keep everything plugged in like the laptop, tablet or ipad. So much of my middle schoolers homework is completed electronically that having her own laptop has become necessary. Other tech items which help are: headphones or earbuds, surge strip or stand, calculator and an electronic pencil sharpener were also big hits with my daughter’s homework station.
- Add some colorful artwork and personalization. Now that you have the “work” of homework out of the way it’s time to play. Think about your workspace at home or in the office. Do you have things that encourage you? Diplomas? Pictures of the kids? Awards? Kids need that encouragement too.
Cece has pictures from soccer and gymnastics, her friends, her family, and travel all creating a sort of collage on the wall. It reminds her of why she works so hard on her homework – so she can go have fun and do other things. Now many school activities like pep squad, sports teams and cheerleading require a certain GPA and she wants to be involved.
- Make that personalization work with a Lorena Canal’s Washable Rug. There are plenty to choose from in different colors with different shapes, colors and designs. It makes a beautiful addition to the room but also creates a dedicated space for our homework station. Take a look. And, Lorena Canal’s Washable Rugs there’s no need to worry about marker, paint or ink stains, just throw it in the washing machine and you’re good to go! We selected the star pattern (pictured above) because she is a STAR and the colors are perfect for her new room. The rug actually saved me a paint job by helping to pull the colors together!
Money Saving Tip: Right now when you sign up for the Lorena Canal’s newsletter you save 5% off your first order.
Here’s more good reasons to purchase the Lorena Canal’s Washable Rugs. With the purchase of one of their rugs, a customer helps a child attend school. We’ve already talked about how beautiful the rugs are, and how it helps create a comfortable, dedicated workstation but all Lorena Canals’ rugs and cushions are machine washable, hypo-allergenic and functional as well as socially conscious.
I can’t promise that they will bring home straight A’s with the perfect homework station. But there will be a lot less tears and frustration. In the weeks since school started it’s worked well for us!
Disclosure: This content was made possible by Lorena Canals. As always all opinions expressed are 100% my own and my family’s.