There have been quite a few new movies out this week and this summer. Some are bold, loud and proud. Some full of action and adventure. But others, while they may not be making the explosion on the big screen that our favorite super hero’s do are just as exciting, keeping you on the edge of your seat while touching your heart. One of those is Dreamworks “People Like Us.”
Inspired by real life events, “People Like Us” is the story of a Sam (Chris Pine) who after the death of his father finds out that he has a half sister. A rather large inheritance was left to her, one that Sam could really use right now as he loses his job and is under investigation by the FTC. But he wants to “check this chick out” before he hands over all that money, as his father instructed. But maybe the instructions were more important than the money as he asks Sam to “Take care of them.” Torn between the right thing to do he gets to know his sister, Frankie (Elizabeth Banks) and her son we see Sam and the rest of his complicated and compelling family become the family
What is most appealing about “People Like Us?” It is really “people like us!”
- Have you ever found out that there was a secret in your family?
- Do you have a complicated relationship with your brother or sister(s)?
- Have you ever experienced one a life changing event? At the time it seemed like it was the worst possible thing that could ever happen to you,
- Has that event ever ended up being the best in very unexpected, but rewarding ways?
- What about your relationship with your parents? Have you ever wondered how you mom could put up with your dad (or vice versa) for so long
- Have you ever found out that the parent you thought was perfect wasn’t? And, then wondered where to go with that information?
- Do you know someone who loves and believes in you no matter what?
- Has the offer of money ever made you do things that you thought you would never do? Things that you are either very proud of or absolutely ashamed of?
Now before you think, “Oh I would never see that movie it’s way too heavy, too deep, not exciting enough,” there is more! Sam has a girlfriend Hannah, who no matter what he does believes in him. Unfortunately for their relationship he does some pretty hateful things and she . . . well I guess you will just have to see it to find out what she does.
Michelle Pfeiffer is amazing as Sam’s mom Lillian. It’s a brand new older role for us to see her in, and yes she is one strong lady doing whatever it takes to keep her family together. Even if it was the wrong thing.
But it’s not all hearts and flowers and tears (though I would suggest taking a box of tissues with you if you are one of those that cry at movies), but it’s funny and fast and fabulous as you watch not just Sam, but his whole family question who they are, what they have done and who they want to be in the future. Yes, there is a happy ending but just like with people like us, it’s not really the ending at all.
What else can I say? Go See It!
Still not sure? Check out this official trailer.
PEOPLE LIKE US
Follow us on Twitter: @PplLikeUsMovie